1/18/09

Algunos hombres buenos

*Spoiler*

Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You?
You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.



I am not a huge fan of Nicholson. Most of the time I have the feeling he is too theatrical, that he overacts a bit, but sometimes he just fills the role and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end.

This is right at the end of the movie. The cast is pretty good and the tension is well managed along the movie, but you just can't stop feeling this is "one of those" American army films with the flag fading in and some moving speeches about justice, honour, the marines. A bit of a cliché I guess. And, funny enough, it is all about a trial for a murder in the Guantanamo base, a place that is not particularly well-known because of its sense of justice..

A bit long, but worth watching. Good for a Sunday afternoon on the sofa and low lights.

No comments: